No Products in the Cart
Grand Final Day!
Whoever your team is (Go the Doggies!!!), this iconic Melbourne event is an annual celebration and a great time to catch up with family and friends, share some food, a drink and some anxiety and anticipation over the big game.
Traditionally there are beer, pies, chips smeared in tomato sauce, but we have adapted an awesome sausage roll recipe that can be prepared today and only need to be heated until golden brown while you watch the game and tomorrow. This recipe has been inspired from the awesome Eating Vibrantly page.
The almond feta requires the nuts to be soaked overnight or for at least 6 hours for a creamy feta, so pop them in a jar and soak them now so they are ready for tonight. The feta is really yummy as a spread with some olive tapenade and sliced tomato on some crackers too.
Yes these are Vegan, yes they taste amazing and yes they have a very 'meaty' flavour and texture that will appeal to all. They are the perfect party food so enjoy the day and the game, and good luck to both teams!
2/3 cups organic almonds
1 garlic clove
2 TBS lemon juice
5 tsp grapeseed oil/olive oil
5 tsp water
salt to taste (a couple of pinches)
Sausage roll mix
1/8 cup ground flax meal
1/4 cup water
1 brown onion
2 TBs fresh parsley
3 TBs tamari
1/2 cup rice bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3 tsp savoury yeast flakes
Salt to taste
Borgs Vegan puff pastry
1 TBS sesame seeds
Make almond feta:
1. Soak almonds overnight or for 6-8 hours.
2. In a blender process all ingredients for almond feta until smooth.
Sausage roll mixture:
1. Combine the flax meal and the water and set aside for at least 10 minutes. The closer to 10 minutes the better, so that it is thick and goopy. This will be your 'egg' in the mixture.
2. In a blender add the prepared almond feta, fresh parsley, onion, tamari, bread crumbs, oats, savoury yeast flakes and salt. Process until smooth. Taste for salt. Refrigerate for an hour to firm up the mixture.
Assembling your sausage rolls:
1. Thaw out your puff pastry and cut in half length-ways.
2. Spoon approximately 3-4 TBS of sausage roll mixture along one side. Just before rolling, brush a little of the almond milk along the edge to help it stick. Roll over the filling until all the filling is enclosed. For fancy looking rolls, press down one side with a damp form to create a crinkled edge.
3. Cut the rolls into desired size, brush with a little more almond milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
4. Place on a lined baking tray and cook in a pre heated fan forced oven at 200 degrees for bout 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Uncooked sausage rolls can be frozen and cooked as needed. You do not need to thaw them out before cooking them. Just place onto a tray and bake in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
For more recipes please scroll through our blog archives or click the link to our Alkaline Cookbook.